How to buy Kindle in Singapore?
Most of the Kindle you see in Singapore is actually the U.S. version, though some are from U.K. or Japan.
Due to the strong Singapore currency against U.S. dollar, it is worth and easy to buy your Kindle at Amazon U.S..
[Update: Amazon has announced the launch of All New Kindle Paperwhite in early August 2013, brief highlights of the New Kindle Paperwhite features can be found here].
Okay, I will make this How to buy Kindle in Singapore tutorial slightly detailed and specially just focus on how to buy Kindle in Singapore, this will allow you to have a better view on the whole process.
There are only two areas to be concerned when buying Kindle from Amazon, i.e.:
1. How to make payment for your purchase? and
2. How to deliver the Kindle to you?
1. You need a Credit Card or a Debit Card.
2. Register a package forwarder account.
3. Register a U.S. Amazon account. (You may consider to signup Amazon Prime Free Trial to take advantage of 2-Day Express Shipping, click here to learn more about Amazon Prime).
Step 1: Register a FREE account with the package forwarder.
There are many package forwarder companies available, but I prefer:
– Borderlinx. (Borderlinx accept Visa/Master credit/debit card, Amex and Paypal)
Based on my experience with many other package forwarders, so far this offer a very competitive rates with excellent services and they use DHL which I find the reliability is very important when sending things from overseas. If you do not have any account with them, you can sign-up now, you don't have to pay for anything until you need their service one day.
– Visit their official website and sign-up a free account with them, the sign-up process is very simple and self-explanatory.
– After register the account, you will be given with a “U.S. Address” also known as U.S. “Virtual Address”
Step 2: Your package forwarder account settings.
After signing up the package forwarder account, there are two type of information you need to set:
– Input your home delivery address and contact number if requested.
– Input your payment details (credit card details, etc.).
Step 3: Select your Kindle models.
Okay, we are now ready for Kindle shopping, go straight to select your preferred Kindle model:
– Choose the exact model that you want to purchase
– Select the quantity then click the “Add to cart” button at the right.
– A pop-up windows may appear to promote some Kindle accessories.
– Click “Proceed to checkout”. Proceed to Step 4.
There are some accessories e.g. Kindle screen protector and Kindle casing listed at the bottom, you can “Add to Cart” if you want to purchase.
Step 4: Register U.S. Amazon account. (If you have signup Amazon Prime Free Trial, you can skip this step)
After proceed to checkout, you will be prompt to sign in the Amazon account.
– Input your valid email address.
– Click the radio button “I am new customer”.
– Click “Sign in using our secure server”.
You will be directed to the Registration page:
– Input your name, email address and password.
– Click “Create account”. Proceed to Step 5.
Step 5: Set “Virtual Address” in Amazon.
At this page, you will be asked to enter a new shipping address.
This is where you will use the “Virtual Address” that the package forwarder provide to you. (Refer Step 1)
– Input the “Virtual Address” including Phone Number accordingly.
– Leave the “Optional Delivery Preferences” alone.
– You can choose the billing address to be same as the shipping address, or your actual credit card address.
– Click “Continue”. Proceed to Step 6.
It advisable to copy and paste the address from your package forwarder account.
If the system prompt you to change the address to a suggested format, just click “Ship to this address”.
Step 6: Choose shipping options.
Choose a shipping speed. I usually choose “FREE Super Saver Shipping” which takes 5-8 business days.
There is a shipping fee incur for other shipping options.
– Click “Continue”. Proceed to Step 7.
If there is no “out of stock” situation, usually it will ship out on the same day or next day.
Not recommend to try the AmazonPrime at this point of time as there is a membership fee incur, you can explore about this when you are more familiar with Amazon in the future.
Step 7: Choose payment options.
– Input your credit card details.
– Click “Add your card”.
– Click “Continue”. Proceed to Step 8.
It is advisable not to disclose your credit card details to other people.
Step 8: Choose Billing Address.
– You can click “Use this address” to proceed with the “Virtual Address”, or
– Enter the address printed on your credit card statement and you need to input the “Phone Number” too.
– Click “Continue”. Proceed to Step 9.
I have tried both addresses on separate purchase transactions, use the “Virtual Address” as billing address will simply save your time to re-type another address.
Step 9: Order summary of your Kindle.
This is the summary page of your order.
– Review the price, shipping charge and the total amount.
– You can choose the display currencies, I usually choose USD.
– REMEMBER TO CLICK “Place your order” button to confirm the transaction.
As long as you do not click “Place your order” button, the transaction is not confirm.
Step 10: Your Amazon Order.
After your order has been placed. You will be given an order number, and the Amazon will send a confirmation email to your inbox.
– You can always login to your Amazon account to check the status of your order.
– Go to “Your Account” at the right top menu, then click on “Your Orders”.
– “Delivery Estimate” is the estimated date that your package arrive at U.S. “Virtual Address”.
– Normally, Amazon will send you an email notification when your package has been shipped out.
Step 11: Your package arrive at U.S. “Virtual Address”.
Sending the Kindle to Singapore is very simple and straightforward as the Kindle is nicely packed in its own box and no repacking is required.
– You will receive an email notification when your package arrived at the package forwarder warehouse.
– Make sure your destination address in Singapore is correct.
– Select your preferred shipping speed and insurance (optional).
– Proceed to make payment for your package and instruct the package forwarder to send you the package.
– The shipping charge for a Kindle is quite standard which is usually cost around S$20 or less. If the package forwarder run any promotion, it will be even cheaper.
– The price differences usually caused by the insurance charge (which is optional) and fuel charge (which is vary monthly, usually S$1 or S$2 difference).
– If you are buying for more than ONE unit, just making sure that your total cost (inclusive of shipping charge) is not exceeding S$400 per shipment to Singapore.
– Anything exceeding S$400 will incur import tax(GST). In this situation, you can split your packages into several shipments (do this only if your import tax is higher than the sum of all your shipping costs).
Step 12: Receive your Kindle and enjoy!
This is how you buy Kindle in Singapore, the whole process from placing an order to receiving the package normally take about 2 to 3 weeks, subject to the shipping methods(speed) you have selected.
After receive your Kindle, do remember to connect to wifi and register using your Amazon account.
Don't forget to check out the post on how you can buy kindle book from amazon.com.
Alright, that's the end of the whole process and I really hope this Comprehensive Tutorial on How to Buy Kindle in Singapore will help to save you time and money in getting your Kindle.
If you find this tutorial useful, you're most welcome to share How to Buy Kindle in Singapore Tutorial to your family and friends, you can share your experience at the comment area too.